Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 1995 18:58:12 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   non-sio UART driver

Hiho serial hackertype people... (that probably means you, Bruce.  Sorry 8)

 As I dribbled a little while ago, I need to talk to a multidrop serial bus
using a standard serial port.

The nature of the protocol and interface mechanism for the bus tend to
indicate to me that I don't want to use the sio driver and hack on that,
but perhaps to make a copy and cut it severely down to size.

Given this, how should I avoid the MCR_IENABLE conflict that's
introduced by sioprobe() forcing the standard four ports' interrupts off?

(Perhaps just reenable interrupts on open?)

Infact, given that this is really a packet-based network, would I be better
of abandoning all of the tty interface gumpf in the sio driver and doing
everything via ioctl() calls? (or something equally bogus?)

As you can see, I could do with the odd suggestive clue here.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[