Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 16:27:19 +1100
From:      davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        stanb@netcom.com (Stan Brown)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.com (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   Re: rwhod[xxx] whod.machine Permission Denied

Stan Brown writes:
> I just upgraded from 2.1.5 to 2.2 Bata and I am getting these messages.
> I recognize that it's complaining about packest coming from other
> machines for the rwho daemon, but what has changed here. This used to
> wrok.

Check the ownership/permissions on /var/rwho, which should be:

drwxrwxr-x  2 bin     daemon  512 Jan 10 02:45 rwho/

That should get you wroking and wrolling again. :-)

> What ne secyrity? feature has been added ?

I believe this is a case where rwhod did not need root privileges,
and was therefore modified to change uid to a non-root user after
binding its port. Permissions on the directory used to store its
data therefore need to be modified so that it is group writable by
group 'daemon'.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/