Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 01:15:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jan Koum <jkb@best.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw WAS: Re: [linux-security] New Program: Abacus Sentry

	Hi all,

	Talking about ipfw. I have a rather stupid questions. Say I am
host a.b.c.d and I am running ipfw. I am denying a lot of stuff and it is
also logging. Now, I don't have limit on the logging set in the kernel,
which means that if I get a lot of denied connections logged, my system
message buffer doesn't have enough room to log it by default. The question
is: how do I increase it? The space for system message buffer that is. So
when I do 'dmesg', I don't see last lines of ipfw logging.
	Actually, the above can also be considered security problem since
people can't see if they were attacked two days or weeks ago. Too much
stuff gets logged in and gets pushed from the dmesg buffer.
	It would be really nice to be able to log ipfw to hard drive with
the date/time of packets being denied. Man page for ipfw SEE ALSO reffers
to syslog(8), but:
% grep syslog /usr/src/sbin/ipfw/ipfw.c
%

-- Yan

P.S. Any clues on how to log ipfw somewhere other then kernel buffer will
be great. :)