Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2003 23:19:05 +0100
From:      Adriaan de Groot <adridg@cs.kun.nl>
To:        Bill Squire {billsf} <billsf@cuba.calyx.nl>
Cc:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/59483: amd64 pr

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 18:35, Bill Squire {billsf} wrote:
> System: FreeBSD curacao.n2it.nl 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #4: Mon Nov
> 17 1 3:46:43 CET 2003 root@curacao.n2it.nl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/C64-02
> amd64

FreeBSD beans.ebn.kun.nl 5.1-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #3: Tue Nov 18
11:33:52 CET 2003
root@beans.ebn.kun.nl:/mnt/sys/CURRENT/src/sys/amd64/compile/BEANS  amd64

>         moused simply doesn't work anymore with a USB mouse, TIFF images

With moused already running (for my ps/2 mouse), plugging in an extra USB
mouse works perfectly, and either one works, both in syscons and in X.
Killall moused disables it, of course, and then re-plugging the USB mouse
restores mouse functionality in both X and syscons. So that must be something
specific to your system.

> Overall the progress on the amd64 platform has been nothing short of
> spectacular over the few weeks i've owned the amd64. Gnome works as of

Well said. Except ..

> NSPR is so screwed up. KDE doesn't work at all due to the very screwed up
> 'arts' which everything seems to depend on. Otherwise keep up the good work

So send an actual bug report, either to the amd64 list or to kde@freebsd, with
detailed information. If the port fails to build, show us the logs.

FWIW,

beans.ebn.kun.nl$ps ax | grep arts
  654  ??  S      0:11.97 /usr/local/kde-HEAD/bin/artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m

(not that sound works, mind you, there's other problems with that - I can't
get _anything_ to produce pcm sound, ogg123 bus errors, and mpg123 refuses to
play anything but to esd output)

--
pub  1024D/FEA2A3FE 2002-06-18 Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>
            If the door is ajar, can we fill it with door-jamb?