Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 03:44:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Can I automatically upgrade a large number of ports?

On 30-Jul-99 Justin Wells wrote:

> I first posted this to freebsd-questions, but nobody there seemed to
> know the answer.

There is none (yet) that I know of.

> Boy this is tedious.
>
> I would like to issue a single command that goes off and grabs the
> newest ports, finds out what I have installed that is now obsolete,
> and upgrades just those packages. If it can't do every single package
> well ok--if it can do the majority that would be great (I know
> pkg_version doesn't accurately assess everything, but it gets most
> of it right).

It's one area of the ports collection that I'd sure like to polish, as well as
(I'm sure) other porters/contributors. If you'd like to do the job.. go for it!

> I tried writing a script to do this, based on pkg_version, but it
> turned out to be dangerous and difficult:
>
>    -- I don't want to pkg_delete until I know that I've got the
>       new version all compiled and configured; otherwise I might
>       wipe out something important. pkg_delete complains anyway if
>       I try to do this
>
>    -- If I don't run pkg_delete then I get multiple versions of the
>       same port installed, one over the other. The package database
>       gets all messed up, and worse yet, pkg_version stops reporting
>       useful information about that port (too many versions installed).

Instead of running pkg_delete first, simply make the new version of the port,
test it out, then pkg_delete, and install the new version.

I'm sure it'd be tedious, if you like updating your programs on a regular
basis. I just update them whenever I find it necessary (i.e., update a version
of a program that I want, only to find out it wants a new version of this or
that library...)

>    -- It's tricky relating a package name back to a directory in
>       /usr/ports. Are they guaranteed to be unique? Can I do a
>       cd /usr/ports/*/rsync and be sure there will never, ever
>       be a /usr/ports/games/rsync as well as the one I want?

I wouldn't try this. I don't think there are any categories with ports of the
same name at this time, but there may be in the future.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
System Administrator, Gatekeeper Technologies