Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:56:03 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org>, Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG

On Jan 25,  2:48pm, "Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:
} Subject: Re: What Mailing LIST for 2.2-STABLE
} Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
} > BTW, I think that it is still somewhat premature to call the 3.x branch
} > "stable".
}
} This might be true, but it will be "stable" soon.  You can argue that the
} transition is premature... but that's a different issue in my opinion.
}
} Right now traffic is occurring on both -current and -stable mailing lists
} and is likely to continue that way for a bit.  Frankly, no amount of mailing
} list renaming is going to stop this from happening.  It's a natural part
} of the transition.

But that doesn't that the folks running 2.2 should have to dig through it.
In the proposed scheme, all this traffic would be on the -head and -3.x
lists.

When the 2.2 branch happened, I was running 2.1.x, and all the sudden
the fairly quiet list that I was subscribed to was deluged with traffic
that wasn't at all relevant to the version of FreeBSD that I was running.
In my case, I decided to jump directly from 2.1.x to 3.0 and skip 2.2.x.
I'm still running a number of 2.1.x machines, so all this time, I've had
to sift through a comparatively large number of 2.2.x related messages in
order to find those few that concern 2.1.x.  When asking a question about
2.1.x, I often wondered if anyone would even see it or if it would get lost
in the noise.  It doesn't help that many of the messages give no indication
of which branch of the OS that they are discussing, most folks just say
they are having some problem or another with -stable.  I think this is
going to be even more of a problem with 2.2.x versus 3.x, since they are
so radically different (CAM vs non-CAM, ELF vs a.out, etc.).  The proposed
scheme would make it obvious which version of FreeBSD was being discussed.