Date:      Sun, 04 Oct 2009 15:22:49 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Zane C.B." <vvelox@vvelox.net>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/139160: update port: devel/dbus   This fixes dbus on systems using nss_ldap for users that are members of more than 16 groups.

--=-lk0bokrwNmCqXXpGJAS1

On Sun, 2009-10-04 at 13:51 -0500, Zane C.B. wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 18:04:20 GMT
> marcus@FreeBSD.org wrote:
>=20
> > Synopsis: update port: devel/dbus   This fixes dbus on systems
> > using nss_ldap for users that are members of more than 16 groups.
> >=20
> > State-Changed-From-To: open->patched
> > State-Changed-By: marcus
> > State-Changed-When: Sun Oct 4 18:03:00 UTC 2009
> > State-Changed-Why:=20
> > We are currently testing dbus 1.2.16 with GNOME 2.28, and this
> > version has a hack which should fix this problem on BSD.
> > Therefore, it is believed this bug will be fixed when GNOME 2.28 is
> > merged into the ports tree.  Once that happens, this PR will be
> > closed.  If, however, the problem is not resolved, a new PR can be
> > opened against 1.2.16.
> >=20
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D139160
>=20
> Got any information about this? Last I heard there was no intention
> of patching this or the like upstream. Previously I had submitted a
> patch for DBus that makes enabling usage of a configure tunable to
> disable/enable usage of <sys/syslimits.h> and NGROUP_MAX and the
> patch had been flat out reject on ideological grounds.

You can look in Freedesktop git to see what they did.  Essentially, they
blindly scale the list of groups by a factor of 16 (so 17 * 16) hoping
the group list will fit.  No, that doesn't come close to the 1023
allowed by NGROUPS_MAX, but it does give more space above 17.

Joe

--=20
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome@FreeBSD.org