Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:03:35 +0800
From:      Dinesh Nair <dinesh@alphaque.com>
To:        pyunyh@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to get RealTek 8139C+ to work with re(4) under FreeBSD 6.1

On 08/14/06 19:09 Pyun YongHyeon said the following:
> really sucks and need much more CPU power to saturate the link.
> So I don't think it's good idea to make rl(4) serve 8139C+.

perhaps, but re(4) doesn't work at the moment on this chipset, and i'd
rather have something which works, albeit a little poorly, than something
which doesn't.

> Yes. What `ident /boot/kernel/if_re.ko` shows?

$FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/re/if_re.c,v 1.46.2.19 2006/08/07 02:38:07 yongari Exp $

and the latest if_rlreg.c which i pulled down shows,

$FreeBSD: src/sys/pci/if_rlreg.h,v 1.51.2.7 2006/08/01 17:36:50 wpaul Exp $

i'm not using the loadable modules though, and am building the re(4) device
into the kernel directly.

the symptoms remain the same, i.e. IP traffic doesn't flow at all, though
'arp -an' does show the ethernet address of the other box attempting to
ping this.

the OP at
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-August/027356.html
mentioned that it was working fine before breakage was introduced
relatively recently (~ 2 weeks ago), and thus something's changed in the
interim which is causing this to happen.

dinesh@alphaque.com                (0 0)   http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/