Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 12:32:53 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Sam Suh <sam@bigstudios.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS broken?

In message <3C235E16.C139FDF1@bigstudios.com>, Sam Suh writes:
>ifconfig_bge0="inet 192.168.75.108 netmask 255.255.255.0"

We have a number of Dell servers that have these Broadcom gigabit
ethernet ports, and we have not been able to get NFS to run reliably
on them either. One problem related to hardware checksum offloading
was fixed in -STABLE a few days ago by disabling that feature. For
us that helped a lot, but we have still seen a few other problems
when we use the bge driver, including hard hangs or NMIs at boot
time, and occasional NFS protocol hangs. We have another Dell server
that uses an Intel gigabit card and it works flawlessly.

Ian