Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 13:04:32 -0700
From:      Murray <mgd@brutus.converging.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to mount a tape drive?

related to the tape drive. The messages referred to device sa0 (my
drive) and ncr0 (the scsi controller). The drive is a HP-T20. I have a
script that runs everyday and which sends a log to my email account.
The log said: tar can't write to /dev/rsa0: Input/output error. The
console display also said that I had to use OFFLINE, REWIND, OR MTEOM
to bring sa0 back on line.

I simply would like to look at the contents of the tape drive to see
if the tape backup worked. In addition, can you send commands to the
tape drive to determine that it is functioning properly.

I tried to mount the tape using: mount /dev/rsa0 /tape and I received
the error: mount: Block device required. If I used sa0 instead of
rsa0, I received the error: no such file or directory. I created a
tape directory at root.

Are there any good references on using tape devices with FreeBAD 4.2.
The Handbook is a bit skimpy on info.

--
Murray Davis
Converging Technology Solutions