Date:      Sun, 09 Dec 2001 22:12:20 +0000
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE crashes - suspects new ata-driver over wd-drivers

ian j hart wrote:

> "Chad R. Larson" wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 01:33:15PM -0800, Brady Montz wrote:
> > > Yeah, I'm using soft updates too.  My crashes are generally the
> > > same as Richards - no panic, just a freeze.  Except my screen
> > > doesn't go blank.
> >
> > For what it's worth, I'm using soft updates on a web server that gets
> > steady if not heavy use.  Built from RELENG_4_3, and no problems at
> > all.
> >
> >         -crl
> > --
> > Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
> > chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com
> > DCF, Inc. - 14623 North 49th Place, Scottsdale, Arizona 85254-2207

> Me 2 :(
>
> I have a total lockup, screen is not blank (Matrox G400).
>
> I turned off soft updates and did a boot -v and got some
> console messages, so this is worth a try. Unfortunately the
> messages don't make it to the logs, presumably because the
> disk and/or disk subsystem is fubar'd. The one time a got
> a spontaineous reboot I was out of the room making coffee
> (typical).
>
> Anyway the messages are something like
> ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices .. done
>
> It's not always the same drive.
>
> There were also some of my favorite "UDMA ICRC" errors, but
> I didn't catch those. For those with long memories this is
> the same box I've had UDMA problems with before (numerous
> posts with UDMA ICRC in subject) but it's been well behaved
> since early July. Maybe I haven't pushed it hard enough.
> I also got one instance of "unexpected soft update inconsisency"
> while fscking. Maybe this is to be expected if the drive "just
> dies".
>
> What's interesting is the behavior seems to have changed. On
> previous occasions the driver would keep resetting and then
> drop to pio mode. Now it seems to lock after the first reset.
> I'll try to confirm this behavior.
>
> I set pio mode on all drives and I managed to complete my
> torture test.
>
> One more thing. Sometimes there's a clunk from the drive{s)
> when it dies. Parking the heads?
>
> FWIW -
> VIA ATA33 controller
> 4x UDMA 66 drives
> vinum mirror /var
> vinum mirrored stripes /usr

Drat, spoke too soon.

soft updates on, dma off. Hang (in kde) followed by black
screen and reboot. This time vinum died on startup and I
had an anxious 10 minutes starting all the subdisks.

I'd better test the memory. Then I'll try booting from
the backup root in case ad0 is toast. I guess duff hardware is
looking more likely.

I noticed some UDMA errors when rebooting from single
user, which failed to sync 1 block. Of course these scroll
off screen too quick to be readable, but the "head parking"
noise was again apparent. APM is disabled.

--
ian j hart