Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 1996 22:18:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Babak Sehari <sehari@iastate.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: I need help in installing this package.

On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, Babak Sehari wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I have a package that uses the interviews library to generate Make
> file.  Even though, I installed the interviews library and the
> interviews library seemd to work fine, but the generated Makefile file
> does not run under make without problems.
>
>    Is there anybody out there that can help me install this on my
> FreeBSD?

Interviews is much more than just a library, so just installing the
library alone will certainly not get you the Interviews build
environment.  Their makefiles are kinda goofy, because they go to a lot
of trouble trying to make a pseudo-namespace.  I guess the Interviews
programmers came from an environment with a great amount of control over
namespaces, and in their comments, they grouse a lot over this not being
available in C and C++, so they get what they want by some horrible
include files, that put "iv" in front of all their exported functions,
instead of just letting the programmer see the iv in the first place.

This trick of theirs made porting interviews to new environments a major
pain, because that's the feature that screws up the most.

Anyhow, use the interviews port in /usr/ports/x11/iv, and install it from
there.  You CAN'T get away just with the library, and you MUST have a
full x11 enviroment available (like the XFree86 stuff).  To tell you the
truth, if you're going to be doing any development at all using
interviews, I'd go buy the O'Reilly Imake book and read it, because
you're going to need to know a bit more about imakefiles.  It won't be
that bad, but you won't get away without a little study here.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |