Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 14:39:04 +0200
From:      Nimrod Mesika <nimrodme@bezeqint.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kill -9 -1

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 07:41:28AM +0100, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> on a CURRENT (I have no stable) :
>
> mat@beorn ~$ kill -9 -1
> su: kill: (1) - Operation not permitted
> mat@beorn ~$
>
> it doesn't seem to do what it should either

Interesting. I have done some experiments here and the results are
(all run as a *regular user*):

o if 'kill -9 -1' is run from the console it kills every other
  process belonging to the user (but not the calling process).

o if 'kill -9 -1' is run from an xterm window, X is dead but it
  leaves the console in an unusable state (it *is* possible to
  ctrl-alt-del and reboot the system, though. Don't know how I
  managed to crash it last time).

Thanks,

--
Nimrod.