Date:      Fri, 05 Jul 2002 16:37:17 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "JimBodkins" <bodkins@prologic.com>
Subject:   Re: Disappearing Daemon?

At 09:54 PM 7/4/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>   I just learned about a tool called ktrace. Check the man page, (you may
>need to know how to stop the trace or suffer a large output file :) ). But
>something like ktrace "/usr/local/sbin/smbd -D" followed by kdump | more
>(kdump >texfile) might tell you where it is exiting.
>
>Jim

Ah, thanks! That was just the kind of tool I was looking for. In fact,
looking at the man page this might be *exactly* the tool I wanted.
Unfortunately, as I posted a little earlier, the process has started
running properly again just as mysteriously as it stopped.

And now that you've jiggled my memory with the word "trace", why oh why
couldn't I just have thought of 'apropos trace'? Since that was what I
needed to do.
--
Roger