Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:05:59 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        David Hill <david@phobia.ms>
Cc:        audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: STD*_FILENO patches #2

Right, your patches have been committed with some modifications:

1) I removed your patch against strings.c, because you _can't_ replace
   fileno(stdin) with STDIN_FILENO without first checking that stdin
   isn't reopened.  In this case it is.

2) Hacked up your vttest patches so that they actually build (seems gcc
   -traditional chokes horribly on <unistd.h>) and adjust the style to
   be compatible with the (horrible) existing style.

   By the way, you were right to include <unistd.h> in header.h
   originally.  I suggested that you shouldn't, but your first call was
   better in terms of the existing style of the code.

3) Made a marginal whitespace change to usr.sbin/rtadvd/advcap.c to keep
   it in line with the non-style(9) but existing style for line
   continuations.

4) Added $FreeBSD$ where appropriate, checking all the way that I wasn't
   taking anything off the vendor branch.

5) I didn't touch any vendor branch code, as already discussed.  I think
   this resulted in my dropping two of your patches.

I know this sounds a little like looking a gift horse in the mouth, but
please check in future that your changes make it through a buildworld
before submitting in future.  An md5 before-and-after check would have
caught the strings problem as well.

That said, thanks for doing the work! :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.