Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:23:53 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Joshua Lokken <joshua@twobirds.us>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: advanced DOS

Joshua Lokken wrote:

>* Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> [2004-04-13 09:08]:
>

>>On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 08:37:04AM -0700, Joshua Lokken wrote:
>>
>>In the same sense that an 18-wheel truck is the same thing as a donkey
>>cart, yes.
>>
>>I trust your colleague will be a long time living that one down...
>>

>Unfortunately, I have a feeling that most all of my co-workers feel
>about the same way.  I am, however, quite nostalgic about my love for
>things *NIX, so to me, Mutt and Links are perfect, while others walk
>by my desk and chuckle about my crude choice of apps...

So, you don't run any X?  Why be that nostalgic?  You *could*
show them the "softer side of *Nix, although, of course, that's
entirely up to you, I guess; maybe you have good reasons.
I really think that most anyone who can use the Windows GUI
can use GNOME, for example, and usually with better results.
The newer Windows stuff is more stable, perhaps than the
DOS-based versions, but AFAICT it's just a slightly less debilitating
case of the same old sickness ...

My FreeBSD box as nearly as pretty as any Winbox around here,
and does almost everything they do, with the notable exception of
a few games, dumping core on a wide variety of programs at least
once/day, requiring the same frequency of reboots, etc.  Plus, it's
the gateway, intranet, file storage, and DNS server for all of 'em, too...

Try putting one of your colleagues on the PDC && Exchange Server
and see what kind of performance he gets then...  Heh, better
yet, send 'em all a virus.  Need any? :-D

Viva la BSD!

Kevin Kinsey

P.S.  No, I don't write 'em, but I've a nice collection thanks
to amavisd and clamav ... and our mutual colleagues' Winboxen!