Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 14:18:12 -0500
From:      David McNett <nugget@slacker.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au
Subject:   Re: Indus Drivers

On 14-Apr-1998, Mike Smith wrote:
> Try the USR Courier I-modem.

I have two of these, and have my hands near another one.  In all cases,
I have had horrific luck getting FreeBSD to play well with the courier.
This is using byterunner serial ports at 230.4kbps.  Under periods of
heavy inbound traffic, the courier will simply cease processing inbound
traffic altogether.  No traffic, no blinkenlights, nothing.  The only
solution I've found when this happens is to powercycle the courier.
(This on even the most recent courier i-modem firmware from last week)

Not that I hold FreeBSD at fault for this, my gut reaction is that it
is a problem with the courier.  I can reproduce the exact same behavior
running the same hardware on a Linux box with non-16650 aware
setserial.  Linux (RH 4.2 to be exact).  However,  with a more recent
setserial (16650 aware) produces a very solid link that does not
exhibit this behavior.

It is not, however, a 16650-related problem per se.  Swapping UARTS and
driving a 16550 at 230.4kbps under FreeBSD yields the exact same
symptoms.  This same behavior has been experienced under 2.2.5-RELEASE
and a test 3.0 box as well.

I would love nothing more than to ditch my linux boxes in favour of
FreeBSD routers, but do not care to spend any money on additional
hardware to accomplish this.

I bought a gtek 16554 board to experiment with replacing the byterunner
board, but have since realized that there are no FreeBSD drivers for
it.

Serial i/o is a black art at this level, and I'm well beyond my
skillset.  Anyone have any recommendations?  What is in sio.c that
could be triggering this behavior, and what's magic about the newer
linux setserial code that would somehow rectify the problem?

I'm all outta clues.