Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 2002 16:38:06 -0800
From:      ANYBODY <somebody@kashmir.etowns.net>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>, gibbs@scsiguy.com
Cc:        ANYBODY <somebody@kashmir.etowns.net>, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adaptec ahc : seagate da : current

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 12:11:08PM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, ANYBODY wrote:
> > > this drive?  According to the controller, the drive is failing
> > > to respond to a whole slew of commands that we have queued to
> > > it.  You might have better luck if you reduce the tag depth
> > > to the disk via camcontrol.
> > >

> Have you done what he said?  man 8 camcontrol (see the "tags" subcommand).
>
> -Nate

Sorry dont know how but missed it. thank you for reminding.
here is what I got:
# camcontrol tags da0 -v
(pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): dev_openings  63
(pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): dev_active    0
(pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): devq_openings 63
(pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): devq_queued   0
(pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): held          0
(pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): mintags       2
(pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): maxtags       255

----
looks like i can set the dev_openings & devq_openings
to anywhere between 2 and 255, with it being 63 now.
I have no idea as to what, if at all would be a better
number. any suggestions?
Question does the kernel change these values dynamically
perhaps as a result of the errors like the ones I am getting?
If not howcome the problem occurs only if there is a little
over moderate disk activity within probably a short while
after bootup, and inspite of howmuch activity occurs later
this problem most rarely occurs again.
thanks and appreciate your help
Saurabh Gupta