Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 22:43:57 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Greg Childers <gchil0@pop.uky.edu>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Peter Wemm wrote:
>
> > The RZ1000 is *dangerous*!  We are doing no favours by making it run.. :-/
> > IMHO It is better to loose the user by not playing ball than to corrupt
> > their data or run unreliably and make them hate us for it.
> >
> > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/pc-hardware-faq/enhanced-IDE/part1/
>
> >   In both cases, the corruption occurs only in specific software
> >   environments and is very subtle; you can go on working for months
> >   without suspecting anything more than buggy software. The damage can

I believe the FreeBSD environment is not one of the environments that has
the problem.  E.g., since the same spl (splbio()) is used for IDE and
floppy interrupts and all device accesses occur at this spl (or higher),
so mixing IDE and floppy accesses is almost automatically prevented.

> Since someone has code to detect these, how about putting this code in the
> ata driver probe so it can say something appropriately obscene and we
> start getting feedback about how widely deployed they are, and so that
> users can evaluate their risk in using the new driver?  There's also

Here is the code to detect and fix the problem with rz1000's in the wd
driver: "" :-).

The code to detect and fix the problem with CMD640B's is larger (about
60 lines plus grot in the infrastructure).  Detection alone is easy
(just a pci id compare).  The ata driver already prints something
obscene: "CMD 640 ATA controller (generic mode)" :-).

Bruce