Date:      11 Oct 2002 08:49:25 -0500
From:      Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ucom + usb + palm = insanity

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 08:42, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Larry Rosenman wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 08:31, Eric Anderson wrote:
> >
> >>FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE is nice..  I'm so close, yet so far.
> >>
> >>Has anyone messed with the ucom stuff yet?  Does anyone know the correct
> >>way to use it?  I thought I'd just slap some stuff in my kernel:
> >>
> >>device          uplcom
> >>device          uvscom
> >>device          uvisor
> >>device          ucom0 at ugen? port ?
> >
> > remove the at ugen? port ?
> > and then add the Palm to usbd.conf.
>
> Ok, rebuilding kernel now.
>
> What am I supposed to add to the usbd.conf?  Do you have an example?
Here is mine:

device "Palm Handheld"
       devname "ucom0"
       vendor 0x0830
       product 0x0003
       release 0x0100

This is for a Palm M515, yours WILL be different.  You might want to
drop by irc.pilot-link.org port 6667 and channel #pilot-link and let
them know what issues you see (setuid is David).

> > We still have issues with pilot-link, but David Desrossier(sp?) is
> > working on them.  David has a USB motherboard/Processor I supplied to
> > work on these issues.
> >
> > I'm assuming here you have a M5xx Palm.
>
> Actually, no, I have a Sony Clie..  But as far as any other tool is
> concerned, they see it as a "Palm".
Don't know about the Sony devices, David (aka setuid) would know.

> Does he need more USB mobo's and procs?  Does he need help testing?  I'm
> willing to do my fair share.
The IRC channel is the best place to get that answered.