Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 18:06:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 w/DPT support

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:

> >> *That's* the problem; I can get a fixit up & running but can't get
> >> tne dpt-enabled kernel to where it needs to be.  Ftp won't work (so
> >> far) from fixit mode either...
>
> As per suggestion, mount sd0a on /mnt, ifconfig, route add default...
>
> >Tom
>
> Done.  & ftp worked (yaaay!)  (although I had to use the numeric
> ip-address, since dns wasn't up... no problem...)
>
> Could runnig in "dangerously dedicated" mode have anything to
> do with this?  For this machine, I have no need to share w/other
> OSes.

  The dangerous dedicated doesn't buy you anything, other than making an
partition table incompatible with everything.  I never use it, even though
all the FreeBSD systems I work with are dedicated too.

  Perhaps a geometry problem.  Is / within the first 1024 cylinders?

  Or, a problem with your bootblocks on the hard drive.  What type of
bootblocks did you install?

> Update...
> I'm booting by starting with the floppy & specifying
> 0:sd(0,a)kernel.DPT
> at the prompt & that gets the system to boot off the hd
> but I'm getting error messages from dpt0 of the following form:
>
> dpt0 ERROR: Stale 7001 (Write (10) [6.1.18]) on c0b0t0u0 (199739226)
>         gets another chance(2/5)

  What version of dpt driver?

> More developments on my "get 2.2.5 running w/DPT..."
>
> I've done a(nother) complete reinstall, this time of 2.2.5;
> took about all day 'cos I got kernel sources, too.
> ftp.i-connect.net/crash has no kernel.GENERIC.  There is, however,
> a kernel.dpt.  I got it.  Still get "Read error" if I try to
> boot from hd, but I can use the floppy to "force" the boot.
> No boot: prompt, no "missing operating system."
> (Error msgs once up, though--strange--fixit floppy works fine.)
> Looks like I need to do a "disklabel."  No idea, though (yet),
> what to spec on it.
>
> Previous comments re: Linux still stand; I *know* that'll work.
> Would rather use FreeBSD, though.

  I dunno.  Again, it only took me 5 minutes to get things are working.

> Many thanks,
> -kc

Tom