Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:53:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XML driver config file to replace LINT

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <395A1950.50ECD8D5@mail.ptd.net> "Thomas M. Sommers" writes:
> : Warner Losh wrote:
> : >
> : > Any reason that the .c/.h files of the drivers couldn't be used to
> : > generate this information?
> :
> : Or perhaps the other way around.
>
> No.  I'm saying that the .c and .h files (likely .h) are the source to
> the driver and driver maintanier are 1000% more likely to keep those
> up to date than they are xxx.xml.  Right now, with modules, you can
> easily not have to worry about any config issues outside of those
> files.  Forcing a doc file just to get docs and breaking this is
> undesirable.  Expanding what the driver writers are already doing
> a little seems like a smarter move.

Hmmm.. What if we define a set of macros that are required in order
to properly register the driver, but at the same time contain fields
like "descr", "syntax"...

Something similar to sysctl descriptions.. Oops, perhaps not the best
example... ;-)

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------