Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 1997 15:34:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Ian Wynne <ianw@ee.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: automating mail download

Ian Wynne queried:
 % I'm using FreeBSD 2.1.5R. I connect to the internet using user land
 % ppp. I've just setup qmail on my machine. Now I would like to
 % automatically download my mail from the solaris 2.5 machine I dial up.
 % The solaris machine is using smail and I don't have root privilege's
 % on it.

Jordan K. Hubbard replied:
 > What you want is something like `popper' (in fact, maybe exactly that)
 > on the Solaris box which allows a mail client like MH or ELM running
 > on the FreeBSD box to suck mail off it.

If you prefer to use a local mail agent on your freebsd system, you
can get 'popclient' to download the mail from the server to your
normal system mailbox.

 > I'm not up on all the vagaries of compiling popper for Solaris, but
 > that's the basic idea you want to chase.  Most of the FreeBSD ported
 > mailers already support POP transfers, now you just need to make your
 > Solaris box play ball.

If the solaris box is at an ISP, they most certainly already have
a POP server installed.  You can find out quickly with:

	$ telnet {solaris box here} 110

If you get connected and see something like:

	QPOP (version 2.2-b7) at solaris.box.com starting.
	<6376.852156497@solaris.box.com>

You're ready to roll.  Just type QUIT<CR> to exit from the pop server.