Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:14:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
Cc:        fs@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tuning a VERY heavily (30.0) loaded s cerver

:(Why is vfs.vmiodirenable=1 not enabled by default?)
:

    The only reason it isn't enabled by default is some unresolved
    filesystem corruption that occurs very rarely (with or without
    it) that Kirk and I are still trying to nail down.  I want to get
    that figured out first.

    It is true that some people have brought up memory use issues, but
    I don't consider memory use to really be that much of an issue.  This is
    a cache, after all, so the blocks can be reused at just about
    any time.  And directory blocks do not get cached
    well at all with vmiodirenable turned off.  So the net result
    should be an increase in performance even on low-memory boxes.

					-Matt