Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:07:24 -0500
From:      George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>, "Scott M. Nolde" <scott@smnolde.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: find | cpio syntax [use scp]

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 09:21:51PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>On 2002-03-28 00:58, Peter Leftwich wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Scott M. Nolde wrote:
>> > Greetings, Can anyone provide the syntax for remotely copying files
>> > from a remote machine to another using find | cpio | ssh?  I'd like to
>> > pipe the output over ssh to the local machine and store the file as a
>> > gzip or tar.gz file archive.  Can anyone lend a hand?
>>
>> man scp
>> (not that I've got it to work yet though, *grunts*!)
>
>I customarily use ssh to copy files over ssh links:
>
>    $ tar cvf - . | gzip -9c | ssh -T user@host 'mkdir foo ; cd foo ; gzip -cd | tar xf -'
>
>The trick is to properly quote the ssh command, so that it's not executed
>by the local shell :-)

I wouldn't mind seeing a translation using cpio, since I understand it can preserve more attributes. I tried but...

doesn't work:  find /var/tmp -print | cpio -oa | gzip -9c | ssh -T root@fait 'mkdir /tmp/foo ; cd /tmp/foo ; gzip | cpio -i'

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org