Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:22:52 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Jon Myers <myersjw@alfredstate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: general slowness and Q's..

On 2003-Feb-13 15:28:30 -0500, Jon Myers <myersjw@alfredstate.edu> wrote:
>I recently acquired an AlphaServer 800 5/333 (EV56) w/320megs ram.  The
>system seems to run about the same speed as my PentiPro 200 as far as
>buildworld and buildkernel go.  Is this normal?  Anything else needing to
>be done to these alphas with SRM to get them to go a little faster?

My feeling is that for integer, CPU-bound stuff, this is probably
about right.  The Alpha's _do_ need more clock cycles to get normal
integer stuff done than an x86 chip (of course if you're doing lots of
FP or 64-bit math then the Alpha is much faster).  As Wilko pointed
out, the gcc code generator is slower for Alpha than x86.  I think it
also generates less efficient code - which makes things slower still.

>Its running 4.7-Stable.  Are there vast improvements for Alpha in 5.0-R?

I believe gcc-3.2 generates better code on the Alpha, but is
significantly slower at doing so.

>Another odd thing is I've pulled all the drives, except for one 9 gig as
>dka0.  bootup sees 15 devices (da0 - da14) all pointing to this same drive,
>same bus, same lun, but different targets.

This does look like an address conflict.  What target address is
the drive set to?  Can you post the output from an SRM "sho dev".

I'm also intrigued by your problems with the DE500.  These cards _do_
work in FreeBSD and in Alphas.  Under load at 100baseTX, they do tend
to report underruns and increase the FIFO depth but I think this is a
design fault in the card.  I also believe there are auto-negotiation
problems with some of the -AA versions.  Have you tried forcing it
(and the switch port) to 100baseTX?

As for trimming down GENERIC, you only need "DEC_1000A" and whichever
devices you have attached.

Peter