Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 09:41:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "EDWIN R. PYLE" <erpyle@panama.c-com.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DO I KNOW SOMETHING

Please turn off CAPS LOCK -- otherwise we think you are shouting.  Thanks!

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, EDWIN R. PYLE wrote:

> I DO HAVE AN INTEREST IN UNIX...  HOWEVER I'M CONFUSSED ABOUT ALL THE
> PROGRAMS
> THAT CLAIM TO BE UNIX BUT ARE NOT CALLED UNIX ( FREEBSD - LINUX - ETC )...
> I VISIT YOUR SITE OFTEN HOPING FOR INLIGHTENMENT BUT I DON'T SEEM TO BE
> GETTING ANY
> WHERE ON MY OWN....   I HAVE IN THE PAST BEEN ABLE TO FIGURE OUT MOST
> COMPUTER STUFF ON MY OWN,  BUT NOT IN THIS CASE....

:-)  UNIX style operating systems take some learning, especially if you
come from a DOS/Windoze background.  FYI, UNIX is actually a trademark
owned by AT&T/USL/Novell/SCO/whoever-has-it-now. Generally, that code is
referred to as System V (or SYSV or SVR4 fro System V Release 4).

 FreeBSD is based on code that was meant to emulate the UNIX look and feel
but was from a different code base put out by the University of
California, Berkeley.  This set is called `BSD' for `Berkeley Systems
Distribution'.

The various names are implementations of this set.  FreeBSD, for instance,
ports the 4.4BSD code to the Intel i386 architecture.  Linux, well, is a
bit of it's own beast, a mix of BSD- and SYSV-isms.

I would highly suggest going to your local bookstore and picking up some
books, particularly `UNIX System Administration, 2nd Ed.' by Nemeth et.
al.

> YOUR SYSTEM IS FREE, I CAN CERTAINLY AFFORD THAT, BUT I DON'T SEEM TO HAVE
> A STARTING DOWNLOAD POINT...

FreeBSD is split into `distributions' which are components of the system.
They come as 240k archived chunks.  This guide may help you select which
parts you need:

FreeBSD File Requirements:

REQUIRED:
        floppies/boot.flp (boot floppy image)
        tools/fdimage.exe (DOS bootfloppy image writer)
        bin/*

RECOMMENDED:
        manpages/
        compat*/
        doc/    (at your discretion)
        src/ssys.*

> MOST OTHER SOFTWARE HAS SEVERAL DISKS NUMBERED DISK 1. DISK 2., ETC...
> THERE IS A BEGINNING A MIDDLE & AN END OF INSTALLATION...

FreeBSD doesn't follow this model since you can select to install various
parts.  All you do is download the pieces you want, saving you time and
money.

> " TO DOWNLOAD TO HARD DRIVE YOU MUST HAVE XXXXX AMOUNT OF HARD DRIVE SPACE
> AVAILABLE.  AFTER DOWNLOADING GO TO THE DIRECTORY,  INSTALL THE PROGRAM ,
> FOLLOW THE ON SCREEN INSTRUCTIONS "
> THIS IS NORMAL TO ME......

FreeBSD is reasonably straightforward if you buy the CDROM.  I'll put
that out right now.

You should check out http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html.

> IS THERE SOME WAY THE FILES CAN BE ORGINIZED INTO A LOGICAL INSTALL FORMAT
> FOR
> DUMMIES LIKE ME ???

Read the documentation and all will come clear.