Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 08:21:20 +0100
From:      <kouwelas@web.de>
To:        taguchi@tohoku.iij.ad.jp
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port:XFree86-Server 4.1.0_2

Hello.
I recently installed FreeBSD 4.5-release and have an issue with X.
My hardware consists of an old P133 with a S3 PCI VGA, i have some
different models to choose from, but they all only work via VESA.
Though that is very slow this wouldn't matter much, what matters is
that the screen isn't redrawn in that mode and therefore is
unusable. The appropriate XFree86 module would be s3_drv.o, located
in /usr/X11/lib/modules/ , but when i build XFree86 4.1.0 from
ports that module isn't built. Why is that? I wouldn't ask, if i
hadn't installed Linux Mandrake 8.1 on another machine which just
happens to have also XFree86 4.1.0 installed. This build HAS the
s3_drv.o module, i copied that over to FreeBSD and it loads just
fine with a TrioV64V+, the other S3Cards it won't recognize. So
that would be satisfiying to me, except of hanging (crashing) my
system when exiting X.

Is there a simple solution?

Greetings,
Paul Kouwelas

P.S.: of course i could downgrade to 3.3.6, but since i compiled
XF 4.1.0 from ports i set XFree86_Version=4 in /etc/make.conf and
i fear to compile anything that depends on that again, the last
build took me three days. I would like to put FreeBSD on my other
system, too, but i need to have a working X on the P133 for that.