Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 17:35:28 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a two-level port system? (fwd)

On Wed, Jun 02, 1999 at 07:30:43AM -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> I still don't see what the fuss is about in any case since soft
> updates would be SLOWER than the async mode I use during installation
> and anyone who's actually bothered to benchmark extraction of files
> with the two systems knows this.  Have you ever timed it?  If not, why
> not?  That seems the minimum amount of work one would be expected to
> put in before arguing passionately on any topic. :-)

Because benchmarking something that is synchronously creating inodes
all over the disk in a rotating fashion (due to the directory
allocation policy) against something that is running fully async and
with an elevator sort over the full set of transactions should be sort
of useless.  It's like doing uphill testing of a fat guy on a bicycle
against a Lamborghini - you "know" the result beforehand.

If extraction of the ports collection (not files in general, just the
ports collection) is slower using soft updates than using "async"
mode, then it seems some elevator sorting isn't working the way it
should, or we are getting queue stalls due to a limited queue size
somewhere.

Unfortunately I can't dedicate time right now to investigate it; there
are a number of other things I need to get out of my FreeBSD backlog
first.

Eivind.