Date:      Mon, 07 May 2001 14:49:22 PST
From:      Jason DiCioccio <geniusj@bluenugget.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CFLAGS Optimization

On Mon, 7 May 2001 23:36:31 +0100 (WEST) Nuno Teixeira wrote:

> Hello to all,
>
> I came from Linux
Welcome!

> and at that time I used CFLAGS to optimize general
> programs and linux kernel.
>
> For example:
>
> [i686]:
> CFLAGS='-O9 -funroll-loops -ffast-math -malign-double -mcpu=pentiumpro
> - -march=pentiumpro -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-exceptions'
Geeze...  No comment.

[...]
> Can I use CFLAGS on FreeBSD too? If I put the CFLAGS on
> /etc/defaults/make.conf, the kernel is affected by it?
> Does CFLAGS can optimize programs and kernel on FreeBSD OS?

Yes, dont modify /etc/defaults/*, put changed lines
into /etc/make.conf.  /etc/defaults is there for reference and is
not supposed to be modified (it is there to make upgrades easier).
COPTFLAGS should actually be used for kernel, CFLAGS for ports and
userland.

Cheers,
-JD-