Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2023 16:13:17 +0100
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc:        d@delphij.net, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Disable compression of newsyslog by default

> On 23. Dec 2023, at 16:10, Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
>> On Dec 22, 2023, at 23:18, Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net> wrote:
>>=20
>> =EF=BB=BFHi,
>>=20
>> Inspired by D42961, I propose that we move forward with disabling the com=
pression by default in newsyslog, as implemented in https://reviews.freebsd.=
org/D43169
>>=20
>> Historically, newsyslog has compressed rotated log files to save disk spa=
ce. This approach was valuable in the early days where storage space was lim=
ited.  However, the landscape has changed significantly.  Modern file system=
s, such as ZFS, now offer native compression capabilities. Additionally, the=
 widespread availability of larger hard drives has diminished the necessity f=
or additional compression.  Notably, the need to decompress log files for pa=
ttern searches poses a significant inconvenience, further questioning the ut=
ility of this legacy feature.
>>=20
>> In commit 906748d208d3, flags J, X, Y, Z can now indicate that a log file=
 is eligible for compression rather than directly enforcing it. It allows fo=
r a more flexible approach, wherein the actual compression method can be set=
 to "none" or specified as one among bzip2, gzip, xz, or zstd.
>>=20
>> Therefore I would propose that we change the default compression setting t=
o "none" in FreeBSD 15.0.  This change reflects our adaptation to the evolvi=
ng technological environment and user needs.  It also aligns with the broade=
r initiative to modernize our systems while maintaining flexibility and effi=
ciency.
>>=20
>> I look forward to your thoughts and feedback on this proposal.
>=20
> This impacts embedded systems or jails which use UFS as the default /var/l=
og backed device. There are quite a few larger consumers of FreeBSD out ther=
e that still use UFS instead of ZFS.
>=20
> Adding this instead into bsdinstall and the documentation as a suggested k=
nob seems like a good way to go.
>=20
> Just something to keep in mind when making this change.

I would not change the default behavior (POLA violation), but adding an easy=
 to change knob to disable compression sounds like a reasonable approach.

-m