Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2012 14:54:48 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SuperPages utilization survey

On 1 June 2012 14:35, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~ivoras/stuff/spsurvey.py
>>
>> The results from three systems (with the script being run as root) are
>> here:
>>
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~ivoras/stuff/spsurvey_desktop.txt
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~ivoras/stuff/spsurvey_mixserver.txt
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~ivoras/stuff/spsurvey_webserver.txt
>

> your "webserver" is actually database serwer with addons.

Database + apache + a lot of fairly large FastCGI php processes -
which surprisingly don't use superpages.

> mixserver - mix of what?

PostgreSQL, apache, php, dovecot, spamassasin, python web apps, and a
lot of other things - I'm sure you can conclude from the list of
processes.

> My "mixserver" have certainly far different mix of your "mixserver", as i
> don't use python heavily for example, while use squid, clamav (both fits
> well in superpages), and don't run large memory postgres process.

I'd like to learn more - can you post the results from your own server?

> What is "desktop". A computer sitting on the desk? May run a lot of
> different programs.
>
> Your "desktop" as i can see use KDE bloatware and postgres.

Yes, except for postgres which is used rarely, it's a fairly typical
KDE desktop.

> As for me, such namings are completely imprecise and such statistics say
> NOTHING.

Yes, a survey of three machines means nothing. I'm looking for more data.

> My idea - lets do a survey based on PROCESS NAME.
> this will give a really meaningful information.

If anyone posts more data, I'll analyse it. I'm more worried about the
granularity of procstat, where it marks the entire region if a single
superpage exists in it - it means any such analysis is only
approximate.