Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 12:57:03 +0200
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        Henrik Motakef <henrik.motakef@web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Where (and when) to store licenses

Henrik Motakef wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A port I'm working on contains some files covered by a license (see
> below) that asks to give credit by mentioning the origins of these
> files "somewhere in the documentation, research report, etc..." when
> one "incorporates [the] source code in one of your programs". A
> thing that even the BSDL asks for, basically.
>
> My questions:
>
> - Do we have to give this credit, i.e. is "FreeBSD" or "the FreeBSD
>   ports tree" something that "incorporates" the source files in this
>   regard?
IMHO you have to give this credit.

> - If we give credit (which would be a nice thing even if not strictly
>   necessary, IMHO), where does it go? In this case, the notice is
>   included in the comments of some .h-files. Sould one of these files
>   -- or just the comment containing the license -- go to, say,
>   ${PREFIX}/share/doc/${PORTNAME}? There is nothing else that would go
samba puts it licenses to /usr/local/share/doc/samba/, so I think
doing so is ok.
>   there, only man pages and examples. How about ${NOPORTDOCS}?
Isn't it belonging to the port? I think it does. As far I have understand
your problem, you use sth. hard work from another one to do what you do.
That person simply requires - if you use his/her work - to include his name
somewhere in the source / doc of your result. I think that is an important
part of your result.

Kind regards
Jens

> Thanks for clarification
> Henrik
>
> --------------
>
> The port I'm talking about is btparse, a BibTeX parser
> (http://starship.python.net/~gward/btOOL/).  It is mostly GPLed, some
> files in an examples directory are LGPLed, and it incorporates some
> files from PCCTS, the Purdue Compiler Construction Tool Set. The
> latter contain the following text (which is mentioned as something to
> look at in btparse's README):
>
>  * SOFTWARE RIGHTS
>  *
>  * We reserve no LEGAL rights to the Purdue Compiler Construction Tool
>  * Set (PCCTS) -- PCCTS is in the public domain.  An individual or
>  * company may do whatever they wish with source code distributed with
>  * PCCTS or the code generated by PCCTS, including the incorporation of
>  * PCCTS, or its output, into commerical software.
>  *
>  * We encourage users to develop software with PCCTS.  However, we do ask
>  * that credit is given to us for developing PCCTS.  By "credit",
>  * we mean that if you incorporate our source code into one of your
>  * programs (commercial product, research project, or otherwise) that you
>  * acknowledge this fact somewhere in the documentation, research report,
>  * etc...  If you like PCCTS and have developed a nice tool with the
>  * output, please mention that you developed it using PCCTS.  In
>  * addition, we ask that this header remain intact in our source code.
>  * As long as these guidelines are kept, we expect to continue enhancing
>  * this system and expect to make other tools available as they are
>  * completed.

L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W
L     i   W   W W   W   i  nnn    gggg    LiWing IT-Services
L     i    W W   W W    i  n  n  g   g
LLLL  i     W     W     i  n  n  g   g    Friesenstraße 2
                                  gggg    06112 Halle
                                 g   g
Tel.:  +49 - 3 45 - 5 17 05 91    ggg     e-Mail: <rehsack@liwing.de>
Fax:   +49 - 3 45 - 5 17 05 92            http://www.liwing.de/