Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:22:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      matt <matt@BabCom.ORG>
To:        "Mr. K." <bsd@a.servers.aozilla.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Systalk] localhost.org (fwd)

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Mr. K. wrote:
[...]
: so, since my hostname is inbox.org, the default domain is org.  it seems
: very unlikely that anyone would ever want this for a two part hostname.
: shouldn't this be disabled as a default for those names (but still work
: for those who explicitly add it)?

Forgive me if I'm just being completely daft, but consider this;

I have domain.com pointing to a machine, which is named s01.domain.com,
is my domain name domain.com or .com ? Now, .org would be the TLD (top
level domain), but inbox.com would be your domain name, a hostname would
be something.inbox.com. Though I will admit that the wording of the
resolv.conf man page could stand to be more clear. Having your domain
set like this to .org is a dangerous thing. As you saw with localhost.org.

Matt
--
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians
 would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees