Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:33:11 -0400
From:      Andrew Boyer <aboyer@averesystems.com>
To:        sbruno@freebsd.org, Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   IPMI hardware watchdogs Re: dell r420/r320 stable/9

On Jul 26, 2012, at 8:50 PM, Sean Bruno wrote:

> For the time being I had to revert the following from my stable/9 =
tree.
> Otherwise I would get a kernel panic on shutdown from ipmi(4).
>=20
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3D237839
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3D221121
>=20

On a somewhat related note: We noticed recently that you can't pet or =
disable the IPMI hardware watchdog once SCHEDULER_STOPPED() is true.  =
This means it can fire unexpectedly while you're dumping core or =
rebooting, depending on how long the timeout was on the pet before the =
panic.  The ipmi driver will need to process the command differently if =
the scheduler is stopped.  I haven't had time to look at a fix yet.

-Andrew

Andrew Boyer	aboyer@averesystems.com