Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:00:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        viren@rstcorp.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re: error: configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

I have had this problem too, and after digging through the sio.c source I
discovered the following.

After the base address of the UART is found the code issues a couple of
to force the UART to generate an interupt request; all the interupts that are
received during these probes are placed into a mask (16 hardware interupts
total, fits nicely as a bitmask).  The code then does a logical and with the
configured IRQ (that was supplied either via config(8) or '-c'), if the result
is true then it assigns the IRQ as specified, if false then it gives you that
error.

The remedy is to find what IRQ it is really using.  When I had this problem I
swore I knew what IRQ the UART was using, and that FreeBSD was wrong, after
reviewing the code,  and changing the IRQ (from 4 to 3 in this case), it
worked fine.

I did not dig through the code enough to notice if it traps ALL irqs during
this test, or just the un-assigned ones.  If it only traps unassigned ones check
dmesg output for things prior to sio that are bound to IRQ 5.

--
David Cross