Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 10:47:09 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        sTAGGER <smdlink@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amd k6-2 550 vs p2 300

On Saturday,  1 July 2000 at 15:49:18 +0200, sTAGGER wrote:
> hi freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
> its a bit off topic but i need help... i had a gigabyte board with a
> p2 300 before i bought a new dfi board and a k6-2 550. the k6 is
> slower than the p2 and i wonder why. i jumpered the fsb to 100 mhz,
> mulitplier to 5.5 and the voltage to 2.3 volt. the processor says its
> core voltage is 2.3 and 3.3 io. above 2.4 my keyboard doesnt work
> anymore and above 2.8 my monitor doesnt work.

Well, what you're really saying here is "if I use the incorrect
voltages, my computer doesn't work".  I don't find this very
remarkable.  But if you keep trying, you may be able to get it to a
situation where it doesn't work with the correct voltages either.

> i downloaded a (win) benchmark from http://cpusite.examedia.nl/ and
> it tells me that the speed of my cpu is equal to a pentium 200. i
> cant believe the 300 is much faster than the 550 only because its a
> pentium 2. does anyone know how i can increase the speed of my k6 or
> does anyone have the same problem?

Use a different benchmark?  Anything that lives in Microsoft space is
suspect, especially if it's a benchmark.

The real issue here, if there is one, is a board setup problem.  Check
things like wait states as well, and check what FreeBSD reports on
startup, for example:

   FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Apr 20 14:10:42 CST 2000
       grog@freebie.lemis.com:/panic/usr/T/src/FREEBIE/src/sys/compile/FREEBIE
   Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
   Timecounter "TSC"  frequency 334058861 Hz
   CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (334.06-MHz 586-class CPU)
     Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x58c  Stepping = 12
     Features=0x8021bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,PGE,MMX>
     AMD Features=0x80000800<SYSCALL,3DNow!>

Greg