Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 2017 23:00:18 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>, Randall Stewart <rrs@freebsd.org>, =?UTF-8?Q?Ermal_Lu=c3=a7i?= <eri@freebsd.org>
Subject:   all network people please review this proposal: because someone is going to commit it soon. D5017

Unless eri gets to it first I will.

see https://reviews.freebsd.org/D5017

If you have a server, you can put an arbitrary number of clients on
the same port number because they all have different addresses.

However in the case of a client accessing multiple servers we are
limited to 65535 sessions because we strictly don't allow the same
port to be used more than once. This is silly because TCP is a
symmetrical protocol and of it works for the server it should work for
the client.

So this patch changes the allocation of ports to allow the client to
use a port that has been used before as long as the previous port user
is not talking to the same host/port. This removes the limitation of a
freebsd machine being only capable of contacting 65000 hosts in a
single port shutdown timeout period. With modern machines capable of
initiating  MILLIONS of sessions per second, having a limitation of
65000 per 2 minutes is a bit silly.

Please read the patch if you suspect this will have a bad effect of
any sort.  Once the session is started there is no record as to who
started it so any issues would have to be in the startup phase.

Julian