Date:      Mon,  7 Feb 2000 14:36:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ethernet troubles (KNE100TX and de0/dc0)

The problem:
------------
My new Kingston KNE100TX 10/100 PCI ethernet card is not working
with FreeBSD.  It refuses to work either under -STABLE or -CURRENT.
From the response to my last post regarding this problem on questions,
I thought it might be a bad card.  I booted the box in question to Win98
and the card worked perfectly, communicating with my other Win98 box
across a crossover cable at 100TX speed.  Whenever I boot to FreeBSD,
however, the card lights light perfectly (identically to the Win98 boot)
but no traffic is transmitted or received.  The other box remains running
Win98.  No hardware changes were made.  The cable and card are known to
work.  This card appears to be supported from all I've been able to glean
from the archives.  It uses a DEC clone chipset made by Intel, a 21143
chipset.  It is a brand new card.

Here are other relevant details:

Hardware:
---------
  PII-350 w/64MB RAM
  Number9 Motion771 PCI video card
  Kingston EtheRx KNE100TX 10/100 PCI NIC card w/Intel DEC clone 21143

Software:
---------
  4.0 kernel is taken from the kernel floppy of the -CURRENT snapshot
      dated 25 Jan. 2000 but the de0 driver in 3.4-STABLE behaved
      almost identically (except no errors were logged) before I brought
      the box to -CURRENT

ifconfig reports:
-----------------
  dc0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 10.20.30.1 netmask 0xfffffffc broadcast 10.20.30.3
        ether 00:c0:f0:4c:26:ef
        media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>) status: active
        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
            10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UDP none

I see the following on the console:
-----------------------------------
dc0: watchdog timeout
dc0: failed to force tx and rx to idle state
dc0: watchdog timeout
dc0: failed to force tx and rx to idle state

netstat -in reports:
Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs  Coll
dc0   1500  <Link>      00:c0:f0:4c:26:ef        0     0        0     4     0
dc0   1500  10.20.30/30   10.20.30.1             0     0        0     4     0

I wish I had more from when I was running -STABLE, but I don't.

So, any ideas?  Any insights?  I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance!

Aaron out.