Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2019 18:45:20 +0200
From:      Domagoj =?UTF-8?Q?Smol=C4=8Di=C4=87?= <rank1seeker@gmail.com>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: please help translate smartctl output to human language

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 15:29:04 +0200 (CEST)
Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net> wrote:

> >> To unsubscribe, send any mail to
> >> "freebsd-hackers-unsubscribe@freebsd.org" =20
> >

> > Integers representing VALUE, WORST and THRESH columns are
> > "normalized values". Over time, VALUE of Total_LBAs_Written will be
> > declining. Once it reaches THRESH value it is considered 'Old_age',
> > meaning it's prone to all kinds of malfunctions expected from old
> > hardware. That doesn't mean you want be able to use it afterwards.
> >

> > =20
> but are this proportional? I mean i had 100 when drive was new, now
> it's 99 so it's 1% used up (maybe near 2%)?
>=20
> Seems quite a little after 2 years of usage

As I said, those are "normalized" values in order to have a MORE sensible i=
nterpretation.
Different vendors =3D> different interpretation.

Just because it decremented for 1, doesn't mean it is trully 1% used up.
What would that mean anyway, wear level?
Also don't be shocked if decrement would be in >1 step.

Finally, your device might drop dead 5 min after you read this email.
Got an idea?
;)

Domagoj Smol=C4=8Di=C4=87=20