Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:51:53 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bad performance on alpha? (make buildworld)

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 08:16:52PM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 07:21:03PM +0100, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I run several buildworld's on both, an Alpha EV56 and a Intel PII. I'm
> > wondering that the Pentium beats the Alpha. Both systems have INVARIANTS*
> > and WITNESS* disabled. Furthermore, no special tweakups - nearly "out of
> > the box" configured.

> > And I don't think CURRENT is that "faster" than 5.2.1. Why does (my) alpha
> > performs so bad? Some ideas? Is that behaviour common for FreeBSD/alpha or
> > did I missed something in my consideration?
>
> Bit of a FAQ, but the last time I checked it was due to the code generation
> for Alpha being lots slower.

I think thats around factor 2-4 slower.
Especially without having CPUTYPE >=ev56 set.
In fact te factor varies much around machine types, compiled code,
compiler version and moon phase.
Also I think the values are not that bad considered that the ev56
core is years older than that of the PII.

ticso@bwct.de                                  info@bwct.de