Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 12:37:13 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Glenn Chisholm <glenn@ircache.net>
To:        Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Dan Moschuk <dan@trinsec.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hundreds of sockets stuck in TIME_WAIT

> And more directly for you, if they're not harming your performance, I
> wouldn't do *anything*.  They do serve a purpose.

When benchmarking proxies we find the MSL creates a resource problem for
us with Web Polygraph (http://polygraph.ircache.net/).

I must admit that we have never measured this as a performance issue.
However I believe that Pei Cao's group has and found it to be one due to
the way sockets were maintained in the kernel. I will look for a reference
for their work. I think that one of her students submitted a patch to
correct this issue in FreeBSD, so it may not be a problem in 3.1/3.2.

If you do want to hack the MSL :

/usr/src/sys/netinet/tcp_timer.h

#define TCPTV_MSL       ( 3*PR_SLOWHZ)       /* max seg lifetime (hah!) */

That will make the MSL 3 seconds.

glenn