Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:24:02 +0300
From:      Alex Popa <razor@ldc.ro>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compiling untrusted source -- what are the risks?

What would be the risks of setting up a server that will evaluate some
programs, something like USACO or ACM competitions?

The user submits the source, and the machine should compile it, run it
against a number ot test cases, and then produces a result - program
accepted, wrong answer, compile error or run-time error.

The step I am worried about is the compiling, since I do need to have
the include files and libraries available.  The output should be a
statically linked file, which would run in a jail (separate one per
source file) which contains nothing more than the compiled binary, and
the input file.  The evaluation program will run in a separate jail,
given only the output file from the program, and maybe an "expected
results" file.  I plan on using ipfw to block all traffic on that
machine (will be a dedicated machine) not coming from a few trusted
uids (like root and the evaluation process).  I also plan setting up
resource limits, and not running more evaluation jobs at the same time
(ruins timing).

Do you think this is feasible using FreeBSD, or is there something I
have missed, something that would get my machine rooted and
"dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad0"ed?

Thanks a lot
	Alex