Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 22:53:37 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Peter Svaar <peter@svaar.no>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make love, not war

ladies and bruces,

I have a problem getting /usr/bin/make to work properly. some days ago it just
didn't work anymore. I had to symlink /usr/local/bin/gmake to 'make'. what
the old 'make' says when I try to compile something (i.e. in the ports-
collection, but also elsewhere) is:

# make
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I have tried to update ldconfig (ldconfig /usr/lib /usr/local/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib /compat/linux/lib /compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib) without any
results, I have also tried to recompile make (from /usr/src/usr.bin/make/) -
the strangest thing is that 'make' works fine from VCs (I did a make remake
as mentioned above from a VC) but it does _not_ work under X. If I am root
in an X window and root on a VC, 'make' will not work in the X window on the
exact same makefile.

some time in the past make worked, so I have probably fucked something up
since then. my guess is libs or paths of some sort. I have also upgraded
my system from 2.2 GAMMA to

2.2-STABLE FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE #0: Thu Apr 10 19:45:56 MET DST 1997

if some of you could help me out on this I would be very grateful.

make my day,

 -- peter