Date:      1 Apr 2006 03:28:18 -0000
From:      Larry Shiller <marketing@shillermath.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Your ShillerMath Tidbit

   ShillerMath Tidbits: Getting out of the starting gate

   [parentzone.gif]
   What to do when you have no idea what to do!

   A 1,000 mile journey begins with but a single step...
   Have you ever looked at an SAT question and felt like saying, "Help!
   I'm clueless!"? You're not alone. Even the brightest and best have
   felt the same way. Should this ever happen to you, this sure-fire tip
   will get you on your way to math success.
   An overwhelming problem typically has a lot of information to process,
   and it's not clear how all that information leads to the answer. So
   instead of worrying about how to get the answer, start with the answer
   and work backwards. Let's see how this might work using a sample
   multiple-choice SAT test question:
   If x and y are integers and 5x + 2y = 13, which of the following could
   be the value of y?
   A. 1
   B. 2
   C. 3
   D. 4
   E. 5
   This problem falls into an interesting branch of mathematics called
   Diophantine Equations.
   Since this is a multiple-choice problem, one strategy is to try each
   answer to see what happens. For example, if y=1 (choice A), 5x + 2(1)
   = 13; 5x = 11; x = 11/5. But x must be an integer ("If x and y are
   integers..."). So choice A is incorrect.
   If y=2 (choice B), 5x + 2(2) = 13; 5x = 9; x = 9/5. But again, x must
   be an integer so choice B is incorrect.
   After repeating this process for choices C, D, and E, we find that
   only choice E satisfies the condition that x is an integer.
   If the problem requires a student produced response, you know the
   answer will be a number because only numbers can be answers to student
   produced responses: You may try the strategy of picking a number (pick
   a number, any number!) and working backwards as you did above. As you
   work through the problem you'll likely find a way to get the correct
   answer.
   By working backwards you always have a place to start. And that makes
   it more likely you'll have a happy ending!

   In the next ShillerMath Tidbit we have another installment in our math
   biography series. In the meantime help yourself to [1]Free Downloads
   on our web site!
   [funnybone.gif]

   They Said It...
   "There is no royal road to geometry." Euclid
   "Mathematics is the queen of the sciences and number theory is the
   queen of mathematics." Carl Friedrich Gauss
   "...the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our
   dispositions and not on our circumstances." Martha Washington

   I hope you enjoyed this short math break.
   Sincerely,
   [lssig.jpg]
   Larry Shiller
   Publisher
   Been thinking about ShillerMath but just wanted to start with just one
   year's worth of material? [2]YES! Get individual lesson plan books for
   as low as $29.95!
   Did you enjoy this Tidbit? Please tell your friends, family, and
   fellow parents, teachers, librarians, and local homeschool groups.
   Thank you for [3]spreading the word!

   What is ShillerMath?
   ShillerMath publishes research-based homeschool math curriculum,
   music, and manipulatives for ages 4-12, with beautifully designed
   lessons, diagnostic tests with answer keys, catchy math songs, and
   Montessori-based manipulatives. No Montessori or math knowledge is
   required and there's zero lesson preparation - just read what's in
   quotes and you're good to go! Students using this approach
   consistently outperform their peers. Larry Shiller, ShillerMath
   founder and President, has a math degree from MIT. The ShillerMath
   curriculum includes authoritative materials and lessons used by
   thousands of Montessori schools worldwide and is the math curriculum
   of choice for thousands of homeschoolers nationwide. Visit the
   [4]ShillerMath site for all the details on this proven and amazingly
   effective product.

   If you no longer wish to receive ShillerMath emails please [5]click
   here to unsubscribe.

   ShillerMath never sells or rents emails:
   [6]http://www.shillermath.com/privacy_popup.php