Date:      Mon, 02 Nov 1998 11:02:30 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Matt Behrens" <matt@zigg.com>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Weird messages from fmt called by vi

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998 10:08:39 -0500 (EST), Matt Behrens wrote:

>I get the following when I push <Esc>!}fmt<Enter> in vi:
>
>stty: stdin isn't a terminal
>mesg: ttyname: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
>Any ideas?  It seemed to have worked before (maybe a recent make
>world broke it?)

I have the same thing happening on my -current (last cvsupped Oct 11).
It does perform the format operation, it just adds the error message as
well (I only get the stty message, not the mesg message).

Hey, guess what.  I had stty ^H in my .cshrc and that was causing it.
I moved the stty command to .login

HTH
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.