Date:      Mon, 26 May 2003 14:50:38 -0600
From:      "Duke, Brian" <Brian.Duke@Level3.com>
To:        "Pete Collins" <pete@mozdev.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mozilla@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD5.0  Mozilla1.1, XFree86-4 , and JRE1.4.01

On Monday, May 26, 2003 7:25 AM=20
Pete Collins [mailto:pete@mozdev.org] said:

	>Using the right VM is a PITA.

forgive my newbieness what is a PITA?

	>It depends what compiler you used to compile Mozilla.

	> Take a look at these docs.

	  > http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/whichjava.html
	  > http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/javalinux.html

Thanks Pete,

I'll look at these docs today. FreeBSD uses a /usr/ports/ system that in =
my opinion is better than an RPM. The RPM system is what got me to try =
linux, so I think highly of both.=20

When I compile the program I "cd /usr/ports/www/mozilla/" then I type =
"make install clean" and the ports system downloads the appropriate =
sources and the dependants and installs everything where it needs to on =
my FreeBSD architecture. #1 drawback...I got no clue what is used to =
compile these. #2 I owe all my FreeBSD knowledge to some midnight =
developer who spent weeks configuring a download system so numbskulls =
like me wouldn't have to know where everything goes. I owe those guys =
everything.=20

I know there are a few differences with BSD and Linux. My install asked =
me if I wanted Linux compatability. Unfortunately I said no. Looks like =
I will be reloading my OS tonight.=20

hmmm reloading my entire OS because I cannot get a Java Runtime =
Enviroment working seems morally wrong somehow.

bd