Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:22:15 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/make.conf

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <mekanix@privat.dk> types:
> Is there some source of all the keywords that would go into /etc/make.conf?

Yes, there is. Unfortunately, it's distributed all over the internet :-(.

Seriously, the variables in /etc/make.conf are used in Makefiles in
/usr/src, /usr/doc, and /usr/ports, if not others. Those may hand the
value to compile commands, which may require looking through the
sources to figure out what it does.

> I've read /etc/defaults/make.conf and man make.conf, but I'm using a couple
> of keywords that's not listed there (like XFREE86_VERSION=4).

When you find such things, you should consider submitting a PR
that updates those two files.

	<mike