Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:58:52 -0700
From:      "Lance Uyehara" <lance@verniernetworks.com>
To:        "Benjamin Krueger" <benjamin@macguire.net>, "Roger Marquis" <marquis@roble.com>
Cc:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Centralized authentication

> * Roger Marquis (marquis@roble.com) [020411 08:26]:
> > faSty <fasty@i-sphere.com> wrote:
> > >I dont see any NIS or NIS+ on handbook. I tried setup the NIS+
> > >and I am not experience with these feature. anyone can point
> > >where the HOWTO NIS or NIS+?
> >
> > Try a web search (via Google or any other search engine).  I found
> > several good links from a query using "nis" and "howto".  There's
> > also 'man -k yp' or, more specifically `man -k yp|grep ^yp'.
> >
> > `man ypinit` might be a good place to start.
> >
> > --
> > Roger Marquis
> > Roble Systems Consulting
> > http://www.roble.com/
>
> Folks following this discussion might also be interested in the following
> article which describes a mechanism for authenticating unix clients in an
> Active Directory environment.
>
> http://online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1563

If you are going to use LDAP + AD for authentication, AD does not send back
the user password in any form. So you can not use anonymous, or
rootdn/rootpw for your bind. You must use the cn or samAccountName + the
user password. Normal LDAP (port 389) will send the password in the clear,
so to effectively use this you must use LDAPS (port 636).

-Lance