Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:51:17 -0600
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@net-noise.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>

Fair enough.

When I restart vinum with the new blank, but partitioned, disk - it shows up
as "crashed" (which I would expect). I try to start it, using "start
mmvolc.p0.s0", and it reports that it can't because the drive is down "drive
is down (5)". I next tried to "setstate obsolete mmvolc.p0.s0" followed by
"start mmvolc.p0.s0", but I still get the "drive is down" error. I then
tried "init mmvolc.p0.s0", and it first reports that it can't because of
read/write failure. If I then stopped vinum, and restarted it, and it then
inited the plex, and reported it as up. Unfortunately, at this point it
corrupts the volume. (naturally, because it is nothing but zeros). So, I
"setstate down mmvolc.p0.s0", and the array is fine, but degraded. Then, I
tried "setstate obsolete mmvolc.p0.s0" followed by "start mmvolc.p0.s0", but
it reports that the drive is down (back to square one almost).

Any attempts to start the subdisk result in corruption to the array, and I
can't seem to get it to rebuild.

Seth Henry
jshenry@net-noise.com